Monday, October 16, 2006

A Multi-Cultural Land Called India

Though technically I’m a South Indian, I have lived in the North too long for me to be accepted as a fully fledged south Indian, it’s a bit funny because in the North, people are happy to categorise me as being a South Indian despite the fact that they (South Indians) will have nothing to do with me. That’s mainly because I don’t speak any of the major South Indian languages so when in the South, I have to try converse in Hindi, which automatically makes me a North Indian. Not that it bothers me much, I’m quite happy being the true product of the national integration that we Indians are so fond of talking about.
Despite being genetically South Indian I am most definitely culturally affiliated to the North but that’s only because I’ve been brought up there. As a consequence my frequent trips to the southern half of our country always involve a bit of a culture shock.
He first thing that I noticed about Bangalore this time whilst coming in to land at HAL airport were the palm trees. Like I mentioned I’ve been to the South a lot since most of my extended family is settled there and palm trees aren’t anything new to me, but for the first time I noticed that they bother me. It’s not just the palm trees but everything they are associated with. Every self-respecting South Indian house has as palm tree in the garden or somewhere close by. It’s the houses that disturb me really, not the trees. I can’t describe it but they have this whole terracotta tiling, weird overhangs over the walls, barred windows and funny intricate facades all over the place. Not that north Indian houses are any better, most are just badly lit boxes, but I’m used to looking at theses boxes. My grandfather’s house in a small village in Tamil-Nadu (another South Indian State) is another example of a crazy architecture because Tamilians for some reason love blue and every second house in the state is painted blue or brilliant green. I know it sounds silly but it’s one of those weird associations I make, I hate palm trees because I associate them with South Indian architecture.
The funniest thing I saw in Bangalore this time was a movie poster. Movie posters are another major difference between a city like Delhi and any of its south Indian counterparts. Delhi walls though adorned with urine stains and tobacco spit are mostly free of movie posters. Here it’s a wild poster-fest, with posters for everything from dubbed English movies to B-grade kannad flicks. The posters themselves range from black and white stencils to full colour ones. My favourite was one for what I’m assuming was a kannad flick, in the centre of the sheet was a picture of an actor dressed as a cop (a favourite Indian theme), he was wearing Ray Ban aviators and held a machete in his outstretched hand, the word ‘THRUTH’ ran behind his head (spelling mistake or a kannad word?). What really caught my attention was the caption under the title. It inspired this Ally McBeal-esque fantasy, bear with me for a bit.
I imagined a caption writer, sitting in a dark and miserable room, lit by a small naked bulb hanging from its wire from the ceiling, its feeble rays struggle against the oppressive darkness intent in enveloping the room. He sits, head in his hands at an unstable desk, cluttered with scraps of paper. He lifts his head for a moment as he throws back the last of the desi in his glass. Sweat runs through the furrows on his wrinkled forehead and flows in steady streams down the grimy stubble on his face. Then for an instant his countenance clears as he is struck by inspiration, he bends over the desk, a chewed, blunt pencil in his hand scribbles furiously across the sheet in front of him. At long last, he collapses back in his chair, which groans dangerously under the burden. He reaches for the paper and holds it against the light and reads to himself the caption, which will define a generation. He reads to himself these lines of pure genius, he reads; ‘When God is silent, he is violent’.

10 comments:

Terra Shield said...

This is quite interesting... I've always been curious about things in India :)

indian lucifer said...

i didnt know palm trees existed till banglore..... caz when i do think south i really dont consider banglore in that region... and ur so on spot with the adverts.. i saw a couple in calcutta llooong back .. horrible!

Pallav said...

interesting caption though!
Welcome back to the grooove man...keep writing:)

Confusion Say said...

What exactly is "kannad"? I think the tagline means like silent in humans hearts....so if you cannot "hear" God then you are "violent" gone to the dark side like Vader...no?? So are the houses in the South like "template" or "cookie cutter" housing? So every house looks exactly the same? In Illinois we have a tree in front of every house..usually a maple or a dogwood or some deciduous tree put there by the developer of the subdivision. But I totally agree with the idea of it all... it lacks personality it's like a machine just spread eagle and shat out a "home" and then moved on to the next lot. Like cookies in a row on a baking sheet.

Kartik said...

terra, take everything i say about india with a pinch of salt, being a cultural bastard, i spend most of my time badmouthing everything indian.

lucifer, dude bangalore is very south. we miss all the posters because thec ourts thankfully banned all posters and billboards in delhi.

nothingman, thanks, its a crazy caption.

COnfusion, Kannada is the language spoken in the state of Karnataka, the capital of which is bangalore.
Yeah the houses are basically all cast from the same mold, but that basically applies to every house in india, one person does something and everyone else copies it. But i think south indian houses have a little more personality than north indain ones , the windowless boxes.
The caption actually meant when god was silent ie. like when some injustice is commited, our brave aviator wearing, machete wielding cop gets busy. Kind of like John Rambo in vietnam or afghanistan, righting all the wrongs. Something like what i described in Mr nose and Mr truck, you know the blood dripping on the soil of the motherland bit?

Anamika Anyone said...

I think it was a Saikumar film poster... He usually acts in the kind of movies..I very much liked your "Ally McBealisque" fantasy :)

Kartik said...

oye anamika, thanks for the clue, i was hoping to find one of the posters online for the movie!

Anonymous said...

Dude, those south indian movies are incredible ! Seriously ! I saw this one segment in which the 'hero' caught a speeding bullet with his teeth, reversed it in his mouth with his tongue and then spit it back out with such speed that it went and killed the bad guy !! :-D and i loved the caption !! haha...

Anonymous said...

This is just to say "hello"! I'm always happy to discover a blog on India and anything Indian (guess you can tell I'm a tad homesick?) :)

Will bookmark you and visit for longer next time.

Kartik said...

ainz, i think thats rajnikant

lotus, hey thanks