Thursday, October 05, 2006

...And The Results Are In

Ok fine now it gets fun for me, this is the part i love the most where i tell everyone that no-one got all ten right. Hah!
Before I reveal the correct answers. Anamika, no you dont get extra points for being cheeky. Confusion and Aunty (espescially Aunty) I didn't make up anything. Here's what a bitter gourd looks like;
Bitter Gourd
You aren't missing anything great though because it tastes awful.
Ok now before I reveal the correct answers, here's the principle behind the whole thing. A fruit is defined broadly as a mature ovary ie. the reproductive part of the plant. Or more simply, anything with seeds is a fruit.
Here's the list of answers.
1. Banana - Fruit
2. Brinjal / Aubergine / Eggplant - Fruit
3. Karela / Bitter gourd - Fruit
4. Potato - Vegetable It is actually a modified stem, for the storage of starch.
5. Carrot - Vegetable
6. Lemon - Fruit
7. Pumpkin/ Squash - Fruit
8. Cucumber - Fruit
9. Onion - Vegetable It is again a modified stem, the layers of an onion are actually modified leaves.
10. Tomato - Fruit
Hah total brainfart (to steal a phrase from Confusion) eh? Don't worry though and dont look for cucumbers in the fruit section of you supermarket because this classification is the botanical clasification, not the commonly used nomenclature.
Thanks for participating though.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember kartik you asking me the same question. it was great fun.

indian lucifer said...

man that sucked.. i ate fruits thinkin they where vegies... not cool

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.. I don't feel any wiser ! Must eat more veggies... um... fruits... er.... screw that ! I'll have the California chicken burger combo please !!

Kartik said...

Lucifer, ainz, if your doctor tells you to eat fruit stick to the conventional 'fruit' because fruit aint no good unless you eat it raw, once it's cooked it loses a lot of its nutrient value.
Ps. karela may be a fruit but don't ever try eating one raw!

Maire said...

So much more is clear to me now. I hate fruit but like vegetables and now I know that cucumber is a fruit I know why I've always hated it.

Also I still don't believe in the so-called bitter gourd. I think you used your wiley scientistic ways to create this "fruit" by crossing a porcupine with a frog - I'm on to you!

Kartik said...

aunty, haha, lol gud one. I was wondering where that infamous irish sense of humor was. Well... there it is.

Confusion Say said...

See...I knew I should have added that...initially that is what I put, but they technically arn't categorized by that in the food groups...so I wasn't sure if this was how it was going to go....but I was going to add the disclaimer about the seed business in there, but I thought it might ruin the test for future entrants...sorry had to get that off my chest.

Terra Shield said...

I see that I have failed rather miserably in the fruit vs veg quiz :(

Anyway, kartik, you've been tagged! Again! :)

Kartik said...

Confusion, it was meant to confuse you and it worked! Basically most people can't get get over the fact that most 'vegetables' are actually fruit.

Terra, thanks for the tag, will respond soon

Jill said...

Cucumber threw me for a loop!