Friday, March 30, 2007

The Beautiful People (Third Installment)

For everyone who has just stumbled across my blog, this is the third installment of the Beautiful people series. In the previous installment, I had crusaded against the villians at Lux, manufacturers of the 'Collagen Soap'. Now, more than four months after I took up arms against the corporate machine, I am finally in a position to see just how much truth there is to their claims. We were planning to run a PAGE, basically a molecular biology technique to (apart from other things) visualise the protein content in a solution. One clumsy classmate of mine, managed to spill most of the cell lysate. Since we had little solution and spare wells (Scientific term: IGNORE), my roomate and I, scrambled to find wierd thing in the lab that could contain protein, to run them in the gel. I had the bright idea of running a solution of Lux (Uplifting Firm) to see if there really is any protein in it.





My roomate and I, hard at work, trying to save an ignorant world from the clutches of the Evil Western Capitalist
Actually we're just goofing off in the lab, the tube was empty and temporarily appropriated for the photo

Anywho, this procedure will take till tomorrow before we know anything. Even though I don't expect to see any protein in the sample, even if there is any, don't be disheartened, the soap can't work and I've outlined why in the previous installement of this series.

8 comments:

Terra Shield said...

That's so cool...

Now I'm beginning to miss those crazy lab sessions we had when I was still studying :(

Aparna said...

Hey Kartik....that was quick!!

Hope you do get to see some bands tomorrow!!

Now I understand why you went around asking for "dal"!!!

Maire said...

Go Kartik the scientician! My friend Beaker is always so hesitant to do any such random experiments... pretending she has real work to do!

Confusion Say said...

OMG! I totally thought that was a condom at first.

Kartik said...

RESULTS: The place where we had expected to find some traces of protein from the collagen soap, we found none. The other samples of protein we had run showed beautiful bands, even the marker we had run at very low concentration.

@ Terra, my fun and games are almost over on tuesday, we have our lab exam and after that it's back to banging away at the keyboard

@ Aparna, yeah nice bands but no collagen.

@ Aunty, we're still being educated so we get to goof off for a bit once in a while.

@ Confusion, Extracting protein from a used condom? Sounds interesting

R said...

No wonder they need film stars and SRK in the flower-petal-bathwater to prop themselves. Can you add links to the earlier 2 parts of this series so that I don't have to plough through your archives.

BTW, which of the 2 guys in the picture is you?

Kartik said...

@ Julia, the linking is recursive but in any case since thou whisheth
For part two
http://kartikrajan.blogspot.com/2006/10/beautiful-people-part-deux.html
For part one
http://kartikrajan.blogspot.com/2006/09/beautiful-people.html

I'm the one with what Confusion mistook for a condom

Confusion Say said...

I still say it looks like a condom....