Monday, January 26, 2009

Dazed and Confused


(yes the title's stolen from Led Zeppelin)
I’m a creature of habit. One little change in my surroundings is enough to ruin my day. So today, the left rear-view mirror of my bike snapped (a parking accident (yes there is such a thing)), it’s the less used one but nonetheless essential. I can’t ride with a single mirror as it throws off the visual balance of my bike. Today’s a Sunday and tomorrow, republic day, so the earliest I can get a replacement is on Tuesday. Like I said, I’m a creature of habit. This effectively means I can’t ride into the city till I get a replacement. Apart from the minor inconvenience of not being able to spot Audi's and Porsche's as they zoom past me, my bike sans the two mirrors just seems odd, the whole thing seems smaller, more compact, somehow a shadow of its former self. I can wave my hand around in the area formerly occupied by the suspended bits of glass and quite frankly it freaks me out. I feel like I’ve been castrated, like some leather-mask-wearing, chainsaw-wielding horror-movie-freak just popped out of my screen and lobotomized me, like I’ve been gutted with a blunt machete (you get the idea).
I’m disoriented confused and my life is seriously out-of-whack, I spent the day, the whole day, the entire-fucking-day browsing a single site and when I got out on my bike, I thumbed the starter at oncoming traffic (right thumb = starter, left thumb=horn). I can’t remember whether I dropped my bike today in the morning or if it was yesterday. If it was yesterday, then why did I take so long to notice the Picasso-angled rear-view, and if it was today, how on earth did I drop it before I left home?
The only lesson I can learn from this whole affair is that maybe it’s time I laid off the ethanol and stuck to artificially flavoured, artificially coloured, sweetened, tetrapacked 100% natural fruit juice instead. Oh yes.
It gets worse, I rode past an accident today, one of the riders that Terra mentioned in a recent post , rode into a bus and then bounced his skull on the road till his brains (apparently he had some to spare) were plastered to the road, like butter spread on a hot toast (yum –anyone like bheja fry? (no, not the movie(actual bheja fry(bheja=brain)))).
I forgot my debit/card at my supermarket (ratnadeep), luckily I have one of these setups that sends you a message on your cell every-time you spend on it, so I knew it was in responsible hands. I got it back of course, the girls at the checkout counters know me, I don’t have a fridge and am forced to buy my hybrid tomatoes there twice or thrice a week and oh yes, I have a metal stud going through my lip.
(There’s a two hour break between the last paragraph and the next one - I have a heated argument with my room-mate about how bikes transfer power from their engine to the rear wheel, he’s the engineering student , I’m the biologist and the one talking about clutch baskets and pressure plates and gear ratios).
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. An argument about ripping your bike in first gear vs. fourth gear, too detailed and too heated to get into in a post. Good fun and hugs all around once it was over.
I’m not going to apologise about this but my favourite word is “how”. Till now, I’ve studied with people who had been trained with answers from the finest textbooks, from molecular biology to genetics. Their answers were standard and sure to get them full marks in the half yearly’s, now I’m with folks who are convinced that menstruating women can spoil pickle and doing it doggy-style can ensure male progeny and I’ve found the most effective response to any assertion is “how”.
I’ve referred to programming as part of my work and for those who’ve been following my blog for some time (Aunty, Terra, Scissor), you know I have dabbled in a bit of biology, so what puts me into a tax bracket? Clinical trials. I work for ‘big pharma’ (find out who for, by skipping back a few posts). I program those reports that go to the FDA and the EMEA, I do safety reporting, I report everything that the authorities need to know about the safety profiles of our drugs.
Conversation with a close friend about the navy now, he lives ten feet from me, he’s polished off a couple of pegs at my place, but we still talk over Gtalk. His father is in the air-force and my grandfather was an admiral in the navy, we’re comparing ships we’ve been on. He’s been on the Talwar class frigates, I’ve been on a Rajput class destroyer and a Foxtrot class sub. HA!
Naaa naaaa naaa nananaaa nananaaa Hey jude!
I have twelve revenue stamps on my table, intended to use them for rent receipts for my tax returns, turns out, as the someone very close revealed. I’ve paid more taxes this year than I needed to, I’ll get a refund in maybe a year or two. I like the sound of that, I’ve heard horror stories of people who didn’t get paid for two months for tax deductions. I’ve been spared. The government owes me money. HA again!
Tuesday afternoon is never-ending , Wednesday morning papers didn’t come...
All the lonely people, where do they all belong?
Each day just goes so fast, I turn around its passed.
And she keeps calling me back again.

And as I always say;
proc sql noprint
create table _BS as
select * from roomies
where upcase(logic) in ( 'FALLACY' 'PREPOSTEROUS')
and rationality != 'TRUE'
;
quit;

#You programmers should get this one, simple code, even if the syntax is SAS;
#Wildcards as in Unix, everything else is simple SQL, think ORACLE, think mySLQ;
#I hate people who don't indent code but the editor on firefox/blogger doesn't support indenting or " " the HTML code for spaces, so my code starts at the first column. Sorry about that!

15 comments:

Terra Shield said...

1. I think I could spend the whole day at the photoshop site too.

2. You never realise how important mirrors on/in a vehicle are until they're not there.

3. "How" is an excellent question. I can't stand "why" which seems to be a favourite among the Japanese!

R said...

Rotfl.

I have heard the bit about the menstruating women bit but the "doing it doggy style" thing is priceless! I'd say doing it doggy style ensures the birth of the sons of canis familiaris. Lol.

And I have been on board the INS Virat and a sub (the INS Shalki).

Maire said...

hey... someone else who writes stream of consciousness posts like me! rock on!

you're right: less of the ethanol more of the artificially natural fruit juice.

Recently I've had a few days like you describe - there was one where I broke a bowl of my mothers, a casserole dish of my own, and my friend's kettle. This happened in three different locations on the same day.

Kartik said...

@General comment, I got my rear-view, overtaking drivers can now breath a sigh of relief.

@Terra, I've always found why a wee too much like nagging. Dontcha think?

@Julia, haha cool, I heard the vikrant I now a museum isn't it, you could add that to your list too!
So then would the missionary position give ya a Livingstone? I'd prefer a puppy any day!

@Aunty, but the ethanol's so much more fun!
How on earth did you manage to break a kettle?
Try as I might I just can't manage to post anything that remotely makes sense!

See Bee said...

oh poor u
i hope ur mirror is back - i know the feeling - i cannot stand it if someone even moves my rear view miror (mostly its sum stupid parking attendant styling his hair) - so losing it is annoying

pierced tongue? like ur a rocker who plays guitar n all?

and a biopharmacologist (yes i just invented that word) who knows programming? way cool! im still seeing syntactical stars

i think my fave question is what - sp when it is followed by man/men

"WHAT MAAAAAN???" makes for an awesome road rage gaali in my part of town....

and since u like wvc's: inemb (i numb?)

Kartik said...

@Julia, lol, my way's a lot cuter! Muahahaha, can't believe I'm saying that, Livingstone yes the missionary.
But yes SOB fits better than puppy, I'm going to try that out on my roomate sometime, danke!

@Trauma, poor me indeed. I blasted an ex of mine for fiddling with my mirrors.
Oops did I say pierced tongue? I meant Lip, I'm a rocker that plays air-guitar yes, lol, you make me sound like such a loser, bah!

String this on if you can, my official designation is Statistical analyst.

What man? Oh yes, I like anything that ends in "no" too, don't you agree, no?

And since I'm posting on my own blog, sorry no wvc.

Maire said...

If you turn a kettle on with no water in it, it may go on fire.

... this is what I have learned.

Tazeen said...

photoshop sites are time wasting devices, i tell ya

Terra Shield said...

Yeah... and if you kind of pull the y in why, it ends up sounding whiny!

Kartik said...

@Aunty, I'll make a note of that. Gotta try it over the weekend!

@Tazeen, you might want to try worth100.com too, it's another unholy waste of bandwith.

@Terra, hahahha, yeah, I know what you mean, lol, read your comment while checking my mail at work, hehe, kept thinking whyyyyy to myself and giggling, I sure got some attention

Kannan said...

Dude Kartik,

Even though u have been drunk... " (apparently he had some to spare) were plastered to the road, like butter spread on a hot toast (yum –anyone like bheja fry? (no, not the movie(actual bheja fry(bheja=brain))))" . This shows ur perfection towards the coding standard... u r genious.. u rock man!!!!!

Princess Fiona said...

im wantin to see photo of pierced lip...ummm..i also have a technical doubt..doesnt it get in the way of lip lockin sessions??? or should i be askin ur gf that??

See Bee said...

oyes i am liking fiona's keschuns - tho my guess is they make lip-locks more fun...um..hmmm

ok i got distracted...

statistical analyst is way cool dude! no seriously i have immense respect for ppl who have full to serious jobs and can still be themselevs. my desig is soon gonna be 'knowledge advisor' - and hey KA by day and tq by night suits me just fine :)

fiona - man u seriously need to put up all these photos on ur blog -the butt-worm, the pierced lip etc :)

Kartik said...

@Fiona, photo will come soon, lip-locking, will ask and find out, as far as I know, no-one has complained so far :P

@The knowledgeable trauma, yeah I enjoy my job, mainly cos I'm so new and I'm getting to learn tons and tons of new stuff

Pallav said...

funny, i am telling this second time in two days, oh well, my bike'e right rear view mirror got stolen, yes, someone unscrewed it and took it. so i took off the left, feels nice to drive like this too :D those behind me can eat the exhaust fumes :P

N