Friday, December 08, 2006

Across The Railway Lines

Another long leave of absence from my blogging obligations and while the blogospher breathed a huge sigh of relief, my blog has been clamoring for attention that I just don't have time to give it. The whole week has been crammed with tests and assignments and then some more tests. I got some respite today after mailing in one assignment so here's what's been going on.
Every grandparent has some story of how they had to travel miles to get to school or something along those lines, well now I have mine. A five minute walk from my PG, on the way to the bus stand is Whitefield railway station. To get to the bus Stand, we have to cross the tracks and although there isn't much traffic on the tracks, our timings generally coincide with those of the trains. In the morning at about 9, I see the Bangalore to Chennai train pass and catch it on the way back 12 hours later. This being India, nobody on foot actually waits for trains to pass while the crossing is down, generally we run to cross the tracks before the train does and though we cross while it is still at a sensible distance, it's kind of unnerving to cross while a speeding locomotive hurtles towards you, screaming it's high banshee wail. A few days ago, o the way back, we were standing next to the tracks waiting for a train to pass when to our horror, we found another one bearing down on us on the track behind us. Although there is enough distance between two sets of tracks to allow you to stand without being hit, it's not a particularly comfortable experience having two trains run on either side of you.
And that's about all the fun we get to have here, like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm in the institute during daylight hours. The one day a week we get off I spend nursing a hangover from Saturday night, so playing chicken with trains is my only source of entertainment.
Oh yes, once a week, on Fridays (ie. today) the people who manage the Tech park, organize some sort of 'entertainment' for the many thousands of people who work here. In the open area reserved for us smokers, a stage is set up and someone will come and do something. The first one I saw was a bunch of school kids singing, then came a DJ, then some trick cyclists and today two Irishmen (he he it sounds a bit like the beginning of a joke.. A Dj, a cyclist and an Irishman walk into a bar...). All except for the cyclists were received with a very lukewarm response (what do you expect from software professionals?). The two Irishmen who are at it as I type are performing what is allegedly 'traditional' Irish folk music, interspersed with incredibly bad humor. After reading Spike Milligan i was of the opinion that the Irish were inherently funny people, but it seems that either I am wrong or these two specimens do not adequately represent the Irish. The little on-stage banter of theirs that I caught was unfunny to the point of being painful.
For instance while talking about some instrument they were using;
"And this (he pulls out an over sized mandolin) is a Bouzouki, a traditional Greek instrument that is also used in Ireland... not to be confused with a bazooka"
Bored titters from the audience.
"It's not loaded"
Silence
"And this is a Harmonica... this is not a bazooka either"
Dead silence
He went on like this for quite some time, grasping desperately into his bag of jokes, hoping something funny would eventually pop out. He only stopped when he had halved his already minute audience and shattered my stereotypes.
You see why I have to resort to playing with my trains?


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irish people are funny dammit! Not all of them though... clearly. Though often people who are prone to telling jokes are not, in fact, funny. Irish humour is better served as stories of self-deprecation in a way that leave people unsure whether or not you are joking until the end when they nearly wet themselves with laughter. Well that's my opinion.

For fine examples of Irish humour I suggest you check out the comedy stylings of Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran or Dara O' Brian.

Just your story about the trains freaked me out. I had to stand on a platform waiting for about 45 minutes for a friends recently and the trains going at speeds 2 or 3 metres away from me freaked me out and I had to wait for her outside the station.

Anonymous said...

heyyyy...Kartik! trains are cool man, i just had an auto hurled at me by God a few days back may be he loves you more that he is sending trains your way!

and may be you should go on the stage next time and do something cool!

and saturday night hangovers...keep em coming man

indian lucifer said...

I really do think anty helpful dictator is right about the irish. think he went over styled with bazooka as he was expecting a giggle for the first. But yeah, Edinburgh is the actual hometown of stand up comedians

Anonymous said...

Hey Kartik, nice to have you back.
You have been linked :-)

Anonymous said...

Shit.. I once had a nightmare about being stuck between two trains as they spead past one another... then as I was breathing a sign of relief on having survived I look to my left and see some thing sticking out the door of one of the trains... It will hit me I think... Look around... no escape... Heart pounding.... neither of trains seemed to end... I watched as that thing came and hit me... Killing me... not instantly... cause... I think I had a few thoughts like "shit! I'm dead!", While my head flew off somewhere... donno when I woke up... but... Man... I was so relieved that it was just a dream...

Take care when u play around with them trains...

Anonymous said...

Kartik nice blog,
got 2 see when ding search.
visit my blog www.hillstationsinindia.blogspot.com
Can u provide a link 2 my blog,
i already linked 2 urs under linkers section.
mail/comment-shri.ind@gmail.com

Thanks
Sridhar

Kartik said...

Aunty, i tell self-depreciating stories too but mainly so that it gives me an opportunity to make fun of myself before someone else thinks about doing the same!
More on the train front, yesterday while going back, i had to wait for a very long, painfully slow freight train to cross. eventually it came to a standstill, only half way across. what did we do? easy, climbed over it to the other side! Not very daring yes, but as my room-mate puts it, it gave me my daily thrill! haha

Nothingman, yeah i was thinking about that too, maybe mooning these software people, haha that would be some real entertainment.

lucifer, thanks man, im glad i dont have to dump my stereotype!

Julia, thou art linked too1 oh and i figured out your name!

Ainz, hehe, you write well man, i got goosebumps reading that very short story!

travelling soldier, eh?

Anonymous said...

Kartik, in the name of Shakespeare, my blog is 'Crazy Quilt'. And just what is Julia's Scissor?
Thanks for linking back, though.

Kartik said...

hehe... i thought that sounded funny, an innuendo but not quite! will fix it but only if you really want me to1

Anonymous said...

Oof!!! Great writing! Aditi (guess who!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, fix it, Kartik (aka Cadd.)

Kartik said...

hmm. blogger seems to have detected one of my pseudonyms and is using it against me, i don't use cadd anymore, blogger seems to have taken on a life of its own, like skynet in terminator 3 aargh.

Anonymous said...

LOL! When I am not masquerading as an engg student, I go back to being an expert black magician. I keep an eye on my beloved blog through a crystal ball that looks like a traffic tracker.

Kartik said...

yes yes, i do the ip address stalking too, but my pseudonym?

Prometheus said...

Kartik dude, Prometheus just complained over at Julia's about yer blog bein inaccessible. That seems to be remedied.

Well, the best way to deal with bad comedians is to get THEM to play chicken with the trains.

Your post brought back sooo many memories. Prometheus, being a Mumbaiite (Bombayite), played chicken, wolf and assorted animals with the local trains. Helped that he lived so close to the bus station and the railway station that his best friends were buses and trains. And he'd play with them.

Anonymous said...

Kartik, your nom de blog has sparked off a discussion in my comments box. That post is about my name but it is your pseudonym that is being talked about! I am thoroughly tickled :-D
Hope you invent more such great pseudonyms with all your free net access. (ROTFL)

Kartik said...

prometheus, i swear, i didn't do anything with the blog, all inaccessibility is not my doinh. Yes. Now that you mention it, those comedians would have been waay funnier with a train chasing them.

Julia, will you leave that name be, i've explained it's origns, now i hope to quietly put it to sleep

Kanchan said...

Hi kartik, well u maintained your blog very well. Every day I open up your blog and well dont get time to read it, but hope so i will read it and know how to maintain my blog.
Keep writting about your wonderful world.